Belize


A vacation place where you can likely bump into famous celebrities like Leonardo DiCaprio and Tiger Woods.

Belize is a small nation in Central America with a Caribbean Sea shoreline. They are known for scuba diving sites, beaches, and Maya Ruins.













The best part of my Belize trip was seeing the Baron Bliss Light.  This beautiful lighthouse facing Belize harbor is a major tourist attraction.  It is named after Baron Bliss, a Philanthropist from England who lived in Belize and gave his fortune to the nation because he was impressed by the people's warm hospitality.  He wished that when he died, to bury him near the sea with a lighthouse built nearby. This story inspires me, and this lighthouse makes the cut on my favorite lighthouses. 

Witnessing the sun sets at Fort George, having a taco dinner overlooking the light, watching boats passing by and people enjoying the view like me were joyful experiences of this lighthouse discovery. 











I made it to Caye Caulker island.

This island is known historically for its plentiful supply of freshwater. "One theory says that this island was a favorite stop for sailors to replenish cork water bottles."

A relaxing ferry ride, a walk on the island, a taste of local ice cream and rum cake were great memories of this trip.

One funny anecdote to remember ... my pink hat was blown away by the wind onto the water.  I was lucky some nice men helped me rescue it. Lesson learned, always hold on to your hat when in the Caribbean sea.











One famous diving site in Belize is the Blue Hole, a giant marine sinkhole near the lighthouse reef. It is one of the world's most popular sinkholes and a World Heritage Site.  Because I am not a diver, nor a swimmer, this is something I missed seeing there. But I am sure I would have loved it as well.

My next trip to Belize would include a visit to a Mayan ruin.  I know there's always another time to go back. 

Friends have warned me of traveling by myself to Belize.  As usual, I didn't hesitate to travel by myself.  I felt a friendly vibe from local people.  The bus ride was a nostalgic experience back in the Philippines, where I used to take a bus.  It didn't bother me at all.  I was safe.

Belize is a popular retirement destination.  The cost of living is inexpensive, and buying an island is not really a big deal for famous people. 

I didn't see Leonardo DiCaprio, but I sure did have a great time in Belize!




Comments

Popular Posts