Switzerland


A mountainous country home to numerous lakes and alps.  Switzerland is also known for watches and chocolates.

Geneva is the capital of Switzerland.  It is called the "city of 1001 delights. Indeed, my visit back in 2014 was a delightful experience.

These are some of the places I visited - - 

The Geneva Water Fountain 

It is a large fountain, situated on Lake Geneva, and has become the symbol of Geneva. It is visible throughout the city and from the air even when flying at an altitude of 33,000 ft. I believe it's cool to see it from the plane. 

Because of the fountain's high altitude and fast speed, you can be drenched with the water. To view this on a boat, which I did, was a fun experience. The summer weather was perfect, and the mist of the fountain was refreshing.

Me pretending that I was catching the water fountain made a good photo. 





English Garden and Flower Clock

Geneva is recognized around the world for its watchmaking tradition.  To pay tribute to this, Geneva created the biggest clock in the world made from flowers.  History says that during the 16th century, Genevans had to follow a dress code to dress as simply as possible.  But they refused to take off adornments.  So people decided to buy watches, and jewelers were trained as watchmakers. 

Of course, I didn't leave Geneva without buying a swatch for myself and for my kids. It was hard to choose because of so many choices.  Buying a watch from the home of watches made it more authentic. I know I used my swatches for a long time until I gave them away. 







Palais des Nations - International Geneva

Home to the European headquarters of the United Nations. It is the second-largest center of the United Nations next to New York.  

This Broken Chair with a broken leg is a monumental sculpture in wood by a Swiss artist.   It stands 39-feet tall across the street from the Palace of Nations, which "symbolizes opposition to land mines and cluster bombs."  It also "symbolizes both fragility and strength, imbalance and stability, violence and dignity.  It stands in delicate balance on three legs.  It is a way of showing that even mutilated, victims of war violence are still standing tall, with dignity." 

When I think of Geneva, this Broken Chair is one of the things that I remember.  It's one of my favorite sculptures, and I love the great symbolism. 




Mont Saleve

It is also called the "balcony of Geneva."  It is the best place to enjoy the city view and Lake Geneva.  You can go there by car, by cable car or by walking.  I took a cable car.  It was an amazing ride and view up there! The cable car carries you to an altitude of 1,100 meters in less than 5 mins. 







As the home of the world's finest chocolates, you won't leave Switzerland without buying chocolates.  I bought some chocolates for my kids.  I am sure that if you love chocolates, you would definitely love Switzerland.

It's interesting to know that Switzerland is one of the highest standards of living in the world.  It is also one of the largest immigrant populations, consisting of almost all of the world's nationalities and ethnic groups—similarities with New York. 

There's a lot to see and experience in Switzerland. To explore the Alps during wintertime would be a great adventure.  I've seen some of the best attractions. However, I don't mind coming back to see more mountains and lakes and taste more authentic Swiss-made chocolates.


Comments

Popular Posts