Dominican Republic





Another Caribbean nation is known for its beaches, resorts, and golf.  The Dominican Republic is the second-largest and one of the most diverse Caribbean countries.  

The nation's tropical climate, lovely beaches, mountainous landscape, and colonial history attract visitors. It is home to the Caribbean's tallest mountain peak, the Pico Duarte, and the largest lake, the Lake Enriquillo. I didn't explore these unique natural resources, but I did experience the historic part of the country.

Santo Domingo is the capital city and the oldest city of the Americas.  I escaped the rough winter in New York and spent a weekend here with lovely sunny weather.




I did my own walking tour of this old city. 

"Alcazar de Colon is a palace built in 1509 for Christopher Columbus by his son, Diego Colon.  It was built by coral limestone, with more than 50 rooms, gardens, and a courtyard. When Diego and his wife left the palace when they recalled to Spain, relatives kept the mansion occupied. But later, Francis Drake, the pirate, sacked the place. Over time, the residence deteriorated was abandoned, and was used as a dumping ground. In the 1870s, it was made a national monument and underwent restoration in the 20th century."

Alcazar de Colon is now a famous museum and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This is one interesting piece of history that I've learned during my visit.







A walk on the beach, a taste of fresh coconut juice, picture taking with local kids, a relaxing time with my book, and a view of the beautiful sunset were good memories of my lazy day on the beach.




Another highlight of this trip was my discovery of the Columbus Lighthouse. 

The lighthouse is a monument, a mausoleum, and a museum. "According to the Dominican authorities, the remains of Christopher Columbus are sheltered at the lighthouse."  It was constructed in 1986, features projecting beams of light so powerful that the lights can be seen from neighboring Puerto Rico.  The cross-shaped structure represents the Christianization of the Americas.

I was glad to have visited this unique monument-lighthouse—another addition to my world's lighthouse journey. 




If I would pick another favorite hotel in the Caribbean, this hotel is one of them.  Bellevue hotel is close to the beach, has excellent amenities, and a huge buffet breakfast.

 

I have seen the beachside and the historical side of Santo Domingo.  Not only that but seeing a lighthouse was another great experience. 

All these are wonderful memories of yet another beautiful Caribbean country - the Dominican Republic. 


Comments

Popular Posts