Mexico


"A World Of Its Own." This slogan of Mexico is true from my own experience. 


The record says Mexico is the tenth most populous country globally and the second-most populous nation in Latin America.  They receive a huge number of tourists every year. In fact, it is one of the most visited countries in the world. Mexico is a famous country, with its "border" and other issues they have. But it's a country that is rich in culture, history, and natural wonders. 


Cancun is one of my favorite places.  It is a Mexican City bordering the Caribbean Sea, known for its beaches, resorts, and nightlife. A famous place for romantic getaways, weddings and also a popular spring break destination for college students. 







I wondered why I hear many good things about Cancun and why people who have traveled there love it.  One summertime, I decided to go and find out myself. It didn't disappoint me.  Instead, I was overwhelmed with what I saw. Now, I know why.  I admired how gorgeous it is, from the turquoise blue water to the pinkish-blue sky. I witnessed how the sun rises in the morning and how it sets at the end of the day. It is picture-perfect.







My second trip to Mexico was with my adopted aunt, Tita Siony, in 2016. It was actually our personal pilgrimage to visit the "Shrine of Guadalupe." It is a national shrine that houses the cloak containing the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the Americas' patroness. "The shrine was built in 1709 near the hill of Tepeyac where the Virgin Mary is believed to have appeared to Saint Juan Diego."

We are both devotees of Our Lady of Guadalupe.  My devotion started in New York, where St. Patrick's Cathedral houses her image as well. I believe in prayers. I believe in miracles. I have prayed to Our Lady of Guadalupe many times, especially during my earlier days in New York. It's time for me to say thank you for all the blessings.  I was happy to bring Tita Siony on this trip. She was not just grateful, but she was joyful to have seen the Shrine and say her prayers as well. 








Another highlight of our guided tour was the visit to Teotihuacan.  It is one of the most important archaeological sites located outside of Mexico City, famous for its large pyramids - Pyramid of the Sun and the Moon. 

"The Pyramid of the Sun was one of the biggest structures built in the ancient Americas, and the third-largest in the world." It is found along the Avenue of the Dead.  

"The Pyramid of the Moon is the second largest in Teotihuacan, next to Pyramid of the Sun.  On top of the pyramid is a platform that was used to conduct ceremonies in honor of the Great Goddess of Teotihuacan, the goddess of water, fertility, the earth and even creation itself."  

Yes! I reached the top of the Pyramid of the Moon.  It was a slow, steady climb with determination to reach the top.  I gave myself a minute of peaceful relaxation up there.

I couldn't leave Tita Siony behind to climb the Pyramid of the Sun. Nevertheless, just being at the site of these large ancient pyramids was already a magnificent experience. 




We also explored the "Temple of Quetzalcoatl, one of the most important gods in the Mesoamerican pantheon.  The name means feathered serpent, with heads of the serpent as decorations."  Seeing and climbing this temple was a little scary yet interesting experience.



We found ourselves walking around the Plaza de la Constitucion, and we were thrilled to see another church in the area. Plaza de la Constitucion is a massive main square and used to be the main ceremonial center before the colonial period. This historic center is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. 



I love Mexican food, and indulging our appetite with authentic food, especially my favorite taco, was delightful.  Being serenaded while having a sumptuous buffet lunch was fun. 



Visiting Mexico twice is not enough for me. There are more ancient ruins and famous beaches to see. I will for sure find time to explore them. 

"Bonita" is a favorite Spanish word. In my opinion, Mexico is a "bonita" country. 



Comments

Popular Posts