Greece



Paradise. 

Greece is known for its iconic sunset and natural beauty. The country has 18 UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Its rich history and culture and its beautiful coastline, blue dome churches, and beaches are the top reasons why Greece is a favorite tourist destination. 

The country has thousands of beautiful islands, but my favorite island would make you want to stay.

These are the reasons why . . . .



Santorini or Thira (in Greek)
It is an island in the southernmost part of the Cyclades and one of the largest volcano eruptions in history. 


Among all the islands in Greece, Santorini is the most dramatic because of two towns overlooking the sea and cling to cliffs above the crater. These towns are called Oia and Fira.


This stunning town is decorated with chic hotels with infinity pools. Hence, this place is famous for romantic destinations, weddings, and honeymoon. But if you are here not for a romantic getaway, it's okay. This place is for everyone.




Kamari Beach
It has a shoreline of black sand and pebbles from volcanic lava. A nice beach to spend a day or two, when you want to have a break from the city and tourist crowd.


Acropolis, Athens
The symbol of Athens, Greece, and the Western civilization. 

Parthenon is a former temple dedicated to Athena's goddess, the goddess of war, strategy, and wisdom. 


Below the Acropolis hill are restaurants with a rooftop that offer an amazing view of the Acropolis. 

Oia is one of the best places to watch the iconic sunset. The most popular spot is near Oia Castle. 

What is perfect?
The sun's spectacular view is ready to set amidst a gorgeous place and the people waiting for the show. Everyone was clapping. You could hear the tick of cameras busy capturing the moment. We wished it was longer. 

That was it. The sunset was over, but the night has just started, and the fun continues.




It was yet another fun-filled day full of excitement and happiness. I boarded a traditional Greek sailboat and joined a group tour.  We explored the volcano at Nea Kameni and the sulfur hot springs and watched the sunset while sailing the peaceful sea. I met some amazing girls.

What would you do when you hear the music ‘Dancing Queen’ playing? Dance with the tune of it! That’s what I did.







Plaka District
A neighborhood with narrow cobblestone streets and sidewalks lined up with bougainvillea, boutiques, and cafes—another place where you can enjoy the sunset after dinner.




Monastiraki Flea Market
Shopping is a favorite pastime for Athenians. For tourists, this market is one of the best places to buy just about anything. I got my souvenir ring, a scarf for my collection, and an "I love Greece" dress.



Sytagma Square
Changing of the guards takes place in front of the 'Tomb of the Unknown Soldier' monument. This monument honors anonymous soldiers who died fighting for their country.

Greek food is now my favorite. Souvlaki is a popular Greek food available in street-side restaurants. It was my first meal when I arrived-a good choice. 

Wine is a major industry in the county. Greece is one of the oldest wine-producing regions in the world. Yes, I did try.



Have I mentioned yet that it was my 46th birthday?

My tourist guide had arranged a surprise dinner for me: a lava cake, a bottle of 'Mama Thira' wine, and a painted birthday card. I couldn’t ask for more.


What else did I do in Santorini?
I pet a pony. I rode a cable car. I took an early ferry ride to Santorini and watched the equally gorgeous sunrise. I visited a church. And I crashed a Greek wedding.





My goal to visit Greece was mainly to witness one of the best sunsets in the world. Not only I fell in love with this country, but  I left my heart in Santorini. 

I can't wait to go back.


This is my story of the best birthday trip-to one of the most beautiful places in the world. Shall I call it Blue Escape?


Comments

Popular Posts