Argentina




Back in my college days, this song was a hit, and I love singing it up to now, with feelings and hand gestures. Here's a part of the song. . . .

"Don't cry for me Argentina
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance."

This song, "Don't cry for me Argentina," became a national anthem in the 1990s when it was performed by Madonna in a film. It's a story of Evita Peron, known as the "favorite daughter of Argentina." She's born in a rural area of Argentina and moved to Buenos Aires' capital to pursue her entertainment and art career.  She married President Juan Peron, and as a First Lady, she was admired by the public because of her advocacy for workers' rights and the rights of women and the poor. Unfortunately, she died at the young age of 33 due to cancer.  Her body rests in Buenos Aire's famous Recoleta cemetery.




Recoleta cemetery is a must-see place in Buenos Aires.  Why is that? It's the burial site of Argentina's most famous figures and is considered one of the world's most unusual cemeteries. This cemetery contains 6,400 graves, and it is not like a typical cemetery because the structures are constructed in unique architectural designs. 

I've never visited any cemetery in any other countries except here. Honestly, I felt a little nervous walking through the isles and looking at the tombs, but at the same time, I felt entertained and educated with their culture.


La Boca is a neighborhood full of vibrant colors. It's also home to the local football team Boca Juniors. The famous road, El Caminito, is where the shops are, and if you are a fan of this football team, you will find all sorts of apparel and memorabilia. The brightly colored houses were cute and fun to watch.  It was raining when we arrived at this place. So I enjoyed eating empanada at Empanadas Vinos while waiting for the rain to stop. I was willing to stay there for the day and sell empanada.


Empanada is a favorite food. I was selling it to my former colleagues back in the Philippines. When I see empanada, I always get excited to buy. Because it is the most common food in Argentina, it's sold everywhere.  Should I say I feasted with empanada? Yes, I ate as much as I could.  



I would recommend eating empanada at La Americana, located downtown.  They are famous for their empanadas with a variety of fillings. I  wish I could have brought some back to the U.S. Besides enjoying a good empanada meal, I had the chance to watch their chef how to make an authentic empanada in this "empanada country."


Dinner in Argentina is normally late, like around 9 pm. They have what they call "merienda"  or snack at around 6 pm when they have coffee and their famous pastries called "facturas." They come in different kinds, names, shapes, and sizes. It's filled with dulce de leche or custard and sprinkled with sugar.  My sweet tooth couldn't resist them. Even at the airport before I left, I still had the last-minute urge to have a bite of fractura.

Steak is a famous food here, but I can eat more fractura than a steak - and I did.  Knowing that steak is a favorite food of locals and tourists, Argentina has the highest consumption of red meat in the world for the record.


It is said that "the soul of Argentina is expressed through tango. It brought together working-class European immigrants, indigenous Argentinians, and former slaves." It has shaped Argentinian culture and society. Tango is now synonymous with Argentina traditions and one of the most famous dances in the world. As for music, Latin music also started in Buenos Aires. When you visit Buenos Aires, you better dance and sing with them.


A "milonga" is a place where people go dancing the tango. You can watch groups dancing in the streets. But if you want to experience an authentic tradition and willing to learn few tango steps, you can support those dancers on the streets and pay them some sort of a talent fee.


By the way, I wasn't really prepared to wear this red suit and hat.  This lovely girl let me borrowed it for a pictorial. I think it looked good on me, but I couldn’t compete with her. I remembered my tango partner told me to look at his eyes while we dance. My short tango lesson on the street was a fun experience. I call it an “intimate dance lesson on the street.”


Argentina is the eighth-largest country in the world. It's interesting to know that during the early 20th century, Argentina was the seventh wealthiest nation in the world.

Another notable fact about Argentina is that it is the largest Spanish-speaking country in the world. Abuela is what we call our mom. As a Spanish teacher, she wanted to be called Abuela, which means grandmother.  Now that I have my own grandkids, I also let them call me Abuela. I got excited when I saw this shop and right away took a snapshot with Abuela, so I could send it to them.





Argentina's capital, Buenos Aires, is considered the "Paris of South America." There's more beyond the history of dance and music and food.  Argentina is one of the most visited countries in South America not just because of its cultural heritage but mainly for its beautiful landscapes. Tourists worldwide visit to explore their natural resources, one of which is Iguazu Falls, the largest waterfall in the world.

I really enjoyed my short trip to Buenos Aires, with a long bus ride from the airport and miles of a walk to feel the energy of this big and beautiful country. 

On my next visit, I would plan to see those landscapes (or maybe just one of them), so I would have again the opportunity to sing "Don't cry for me Argentina..."


Comments

Popular Posts