Cuba



Few interesting facts about Cuba: It is the largest Caribbean island in terms of size and population. They have one of the highest literacy in the world. They have double currency. So you know what to expect.

Cuba is said to be one of the safest countries in Latin America, with almost no crime.   It is also one of the most popular destinations for solo female travelers globally, like me.  I can attest to that. 

Off to Havana by myself, not as a working flight attendant this time.  I went in 2019 during the time when travel to Cuba has been restricted to Americans. Restrictions say that "it will not permit group educational and cultural trips known as 'people to people' and it will not allow cruises, private yachts or fishing vessels to stop in Cuba."  These 'people to people' trips have been used by Americans, while cruises have become the most popular way to travel to Cuba since it reopened to Americans.

"Individuals can still travel to Cuba under the category 'support for Cuban people,' but they must have an itinerary with meetings and visits with local business owners or artists. They must stay in a private home instead of a hotel." I used this category under the circumstances that I had.

My goals on my trip to Cuba: Ride a vintage car. Meet Ernest Hemingway. See a lighthouse. And eat a Cuban sandwich. 

There are plenty of fun things to do in Cuba. Top of the list is to ride a vintage convertible. A funny thing I heard - it is almost a sin to leave Havana without taking a ride in a classic convertible. I was proud to say I didn't commit that sin. A red and white classic car with a tourist guide and a driver for a day - what else could I ask for?



My fantastic ride started early in the morning. They picked me up at my Airbnb house. See, I followed the travel rules.


Our first stop was at the park to meet John Lennon. I didn't expect to see his statue there. The park was named in honor of him. I learned that his music was banned in Cuba during the 1960s and 70s, but his statue was later built because Fidel Castro considered him a "fellow dreamer." I am a dreamer too, a John Lennon fan, and my favorite song - "Let it be."



Across from the park is a vintage Cuban residence where my tourist guide, Rey, takes his clients.  I was impressed. We had the perfect weather and time for a perfect photoshoot. Those were great moments—definitely, classic photos to keep. 


Our second stop was for breakfast at Cafe de Cuba in Vedado. Vedado means "forbidden" in English. It's located in the central business district of Havana. This neighborhood is home to some of the country's nightlife and cuisine. Authentic Cuban sandwich for breakfast and 2 cups of coffee! It was a classic breakfast, too.  



I did my own walking tour of Old Havana. Actually, not by myself, but I met this young couple from California on the bus.  They were friendly, so I took advantage of them and asked if I could join them in Old Havana. After a tiring walk, we enjoyed a fancy dinner at a fancy hotel. 

Walking these cobblestone streets and seeing remarkable sites was like walking and re-enacting the life during the old days.  You would see beautiful spots, architecture, public buildings, and spaces describing Cuba's history, culture, and people. With so much preserved history, Old Havana is a World Heritage Site.

Many of us know Ernest Hemingway, an American journalist, novelist, short-story writer, and sportsman. I am a fan of his writings. He is one of the best-known figures in Cuban history. "He would travel to Cuba during winter to escape the snow in Idaho, to continue his writing.  He lived in Cuba on and off for 30 years and met his third wife." After he died in Idaho, his home in Cuba became a museum.  I didn't get a chance to visit his museum there, but I have toured his home in Key West, Florida. It was a great experience as well.




El Floridita in Old Havana is one of the favorite bars of Hemingway, where he used to hang out, drink and chat. He particularly loved daiquiris - the drink you must have when you visit! Even if you don't drink, joining the crowd, singing, and dancing with the live band is a fun thing to do. A photo with his bronze statue with a daiquiri - that's my Ernest Hemingway classic experience!




Plaza de la Revolucion is an important place in Havana's history where Fidel Castro delivered his speeches.  In the center of the plaza stands a tower, a memorial to Cuban national hero Jose Marti. This is also a place where classic cars are parked for rental.



Rey took me to Fusterlandia, a wonderland of mosaic tiles located outside of Havana. It was built by a Cuban artist named Jose Fuster. He was inspired by similar work in Barcelona and Romania and created his own in Cuba.



Our last stop was the Faro Castillo del Morro lighthouse. This lighthouse is one of Havana's symbols and one of the most visited places both by tourists and locals. Given its popularity, it has appeared in several movies and a favorite subject for painting and photography. The lighthouse wasn't open for climbing that day but driving to see this iconic place was already an incredible experience for me. More photos and stories are on my 'Traveling Lighthouse" blog.


It was a hot and sunny day. We ended our day tour with 'cheers' to my incredible adventure in Cuba. Thanks to Rey for his knowledge and skills, and souvenir coasters from Fusterlandia.


I was happy to have achieved my goals on this trip. It's more than what I've expected. The vintage convertible ride was the best—my classic trip of a lifetime.

Cuba is a country with so much history and beauty. I would definitely go back in a heartbeat. 





Comments

Popular Posts