Sweden




Can you join me in singing my favorite "Mamma Mia" songs?
 
Abba is a Swedish pop group formed in Stockholm, Sweden. Abba's music was adapted into the musical film "Mamma Mia." Hence, my addiction to the film was brought by my passion for Abba's songs. 

I was disappointed that I didn't have the real Abba experience because the museum was closed at that time. I was so excited to dress up their costume while singing my favorite Abba songs. So, taking photos with them outside the museum was all I did. I just had to sing out loud my favorite songs on the street while enjoying a nice walk in perfect weather.









My Sweden experience was not all about Abba. It's also about a boat tour and lighthouses. 

Walking is always the best way to explore a beautiful country like Sweden. It is a nation with thousands of coastal islands and inland lakes. Stockholm, the capital of Sweden, encompasses 14 islands and more than 50 bridges on the Baltic Sea archipelago. Ferries shuttle passengers between islands. 

I hop on a boat tour to have that best experience of their islands. Here are some beautiful views on board.






Have you heard about a lightvessel? Maybe not. It's my first time to hear about it as well and my first time seeing it. This boat tour had me realized that I am missing something about lighthouses.



A lightvessel is a ship that acts as a lighthouse, and it is used in waters that are too deep or unsuitable for lighthouse construction. Who would have known that I would see my first lightvessel in Sweden?

Finngrundet Lightvessel was active for 66 years, and in 1970 it was donated to the National Maritime History Museum, where it has been on display. More stories and photos of my lighthouse encounter are on my "Traveling Lighthouses" blog. 


"Fika" is a coffee break in Sweden culture. And cinnamon rolls are the best-loved pastry among Swedes.  In Sweden, fika is an essential part of the day. It is "sacred" and even part of employee contracts. Fika is best described as coffee and cinnamon roll on a break. It is the ultimate symbol of Swedish home cooking. There is a famous saying in Sweden - "the smell of newly baked cinnamon is the best smell in the world." 

Cinnamon is a favorite pastry. And if I pass by a place where I could smell the cinnamon, I need to stop and buy.

Sweden is the home for the world's first "Icehotel." From October to December, artists and ice experts build this hotel from ice and snow. However, it takes three months to melt. A part of this hotel is open all year round, with solar energy keeping the ice cool. To stay in the Icehotel with a view of the northern lights must be an ultimate Sweden experience. Maybe I can do this someday.

"Skyview" is another world-class attraction that takes you to "Ericsson Globe," the world's largest spherical building that is shaped like a giant ball. This is a landmark of both Sweden and Stockholm and one of the most visited attractions in Stockholm. The top of the Globe provides a panoramic view of Stockholm. So if you don't have much time to explore Stockholm, this is the place to go. 

 

It is a Swedish culture that they leave the city and head to their "summer house" for relaxation during June or July. 

In Sweden, a summer house is "defined as a house that is not registered as someone's permanent address." During the old days, most summer houses were originally built to a basic standard without hot water, not even water, and no electricity. According to their statistics, 20 percent of Swedes own a summer house. Stockholm (by the water) is one of the most popular places to buy a summer house.

Swedes are big on leisure time and small on the condition of city life. I don't blame them. Sweden's one popular travel image is a red-painted cottage in a beautiful landscape.  I love summer houses, too. I would love to own one, someday - to wind down and have a simple life. 



My "Nordic lifestyle" experience here in Sweden was short yet sweet, like their favorite pastry.  It was a fabulous trip, plus I had a bonus photo with these lovely friendly flight attendants. 

Goodbye to beautiful Sweden for now. I am off to a new Scandinavian country.


Comments

Popular Posts